We know how busy the first of the year can be with tax prep and all deadlines, so we thought a friendly reminder was in order.
From the website of Villie M. Smith, Marion County Property Appraiser:
Exemptions can provide significant property tax savings, and this interactive system will walk you through the qualification and application process. Many exemptions are available through this process; however, we ask that qualified seniors and combat veterans visit us in person for those additional exemptions.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA TO QUALIFY FOR PROPERTY TAX EXEMPTION
- Application for all exemptions must be filed before March 1 of the tax year.
- At the option of the property appraiser, original homestead exemption applications may be accepted as pre-files after March 1, but will apply to the following year.
- Initial application should be made in person at the Property Appraiser’s office or by mail.
- Subsequent yearly renewal of exemption is automatic unless you notify the Property Appraiser’s office of change in status, which may be done by mail.
- Failure to make application by March 1 of the tax year shall constitute a waiver of the exemption privilege for that year.
- Every person who has legal or equitable title to real property in the State of Florida and who resides thereon and in good faith makes it his or her permanent home is eligible.
- First time applicants are required to furnish their social security number, and should have available evidence of ownership (i.e., deed, contract, etc)..