Florida is a popular destination for retirees due to its low taxes and sunny weather. Whether you’re still dreaming of your retirement in the Sunshine State, or you’re ready to make a move, Showcase Properties has you covered. We’re just as committed to helping you through the relocation process as we are to helping you find the perfect home. When you buy with us, you’ll have access to our extensive list of local resources. Our real estate experts will be happy to provide you with all of the information you need to choose the right 55+ community for you and your dream home within it.
We also have a great list of local vendors for all your renovation and home repair needs. Our agents are experts in both real estate and all things local–don’t hesitate to ask them any questions you may have about Ocala living! To further facilitate an easy move, we’ve compiled the following list of tips and tricks to keep in mind before you relocate. Happy moving!
Benefits of Retiring in North Central Florida
• Low taxes: Florida doesn’t have a state income or estate tax. Property tax exemptions are available for senior citizens, as well as for primary residences.
• Cost of Living: According to BestPlaces.net, the cost of living in Ocala is 12 percent lower than the national average, with an average home price of $132,400. For retirees coming from the Northeast, for example, North Central Florida is definitely a more affordable place to live out your golden years. Philadelphia, PA; Boston, MA; Princeton, NJ; and the Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk Metro area of CT are all more expensive than the national average instead of less, like Ocala.
• Weather: North Central Florida has a subtropical climate with a great deal of sunshine, almost no hurricane threat, and none of the cold and snow you find up north.
• Vibrant cultural and entertainment options: From Ocala’s status as a horse capital of the world to other outdoor activities, art, music, theater, and more, you can easily create an active lifestyle for yourself in Ocala.
Discover 55+ Communities in North Central Florida
The Villages may be the best-known active retirement community near Ocala, but there are plenty of other options, too. Here’s a sampling of 55+ communities in or near Marion County:
• Trilogy at Ocala Preserve is one of the newest retirement communities. It offers a resort lifestyle with arts, equine activities, and golfing.
• Ocala Palms is a smaller community for those seeking a more tight-knit feeling. It offers a golf-club lifestyle with many hobbies groups and choices of activities.
• On Top of the World was built on a former cattle ranch. There are three separate golf courses, three restaurants, stylistically distinct neighborhoods, and more.
• Oak Run offers a variety of clubs for different tastes and lifestyles, such as indoor activities, an outdoor pool, spa, and more.
Out-of-State Moving Tips
• Set a moving budget. It’s easy to underestimate the costs of moving, and it can be difficult to anticipate everything you might need. Be sure to budget for the big stuff like boxes, movers, repairs, deposits, utilities, travel, renovations, etc, but also consider adding 15-20% to your budget for the unexpected.
• Embrace the art of decluttering. A good habit to get into even before putting your home on the market, decluttering will make your move a hundred times easier. Be ruthless in getting rid of junk, because otherwise, it has to come with you. Donate whatever you can to local charities, and trash what you can’t.
• Get organized. Do your future self a huge favor by making exhaustive to-do lists and labeling boxes carefully. Unpacking will be much more straightforward. Marking boxes by room will allow you to find exactly what you need, and eliminate confusion about what goes where.
• Keep your essentials close. It’s a moving nightmare: you’ve just gotten ready to go to bed after a long day of moving and you can’t find your toothbrush. All of a sudden you remember it’s at the bottom of the biggest box in the back of the moving van. Yikes! As moving day approaches, be sure to pack toiletries and essentials separately for easy access. Place all sensitive items like passports, birth certificates, legal documents and family heirlooms in a secure box that’s easy to locate.
• Become friends with Google Maps. Google Maps is a great moving resource. Get to know your new neighborhood better with the Street View function, and use the Directions function to find nearby grocery stores, gas stations, and other essentials.
Showcase Properties can help make your move go smoothly.
Moving can be a hassle, but it doesn’t have to be! At Showcase, we’re all about making home-buying and home-selling a smooth process from start to finish. Our knowledgeable team has plenty of experience with out-of-state moves and 55+ communities. Contact us for all of your relocation and moving concerns!